Cuil – Review July 30, 2008Posted by simarprit in Blogging, Internet, News, News Reaction, portals, Review.
Tags: Cuil, cuil search engine, cuil-search, Google Cuil, News, Review, Search Engine, Simarprit
Google – Cuil Comparison
Is it really Cool?
Yes, the interface is. It is too good.
I will work towards a detailed comparison of Google and Cuil, let us see what comes out.
As a starter, Cuil is to Search Engines what iPhone was to mobile devices (at least the interface). It is awesome. The interface and HCI angle is a killer. It can disrupt the party for Google. It has that in it. That’s the good news. On HCI they get 10/10, compared to Google’s 2/10. But on search terms, I am afraid the novelty doesn’t pay, they are just continents away, or shall I say halfway around the world.
I just did about 2300 searches. Random. Global. On any thing and everything. I am getting more focused as I move on with more parameters.
- As per Cuil there are no “Indian Restaurants in San Jose” though we have “Japanese Restaurants in San Jose”, “Mexican Restaurants in San Jose” and “Chinese Restaurants in San Jose”. LoL
- Search for Map and see the error
- Search for Sap and see the error
|Anti Domain Squatting||8||2|
|Bridge Page Filters||8||2|
|Date and Time||7||1|
|Dead Link Checks||7||2|
|Dynamic Content Handling||8||6|
|Frame Based Content||8||4|
|H Tagging Relevancy||6||3|
|Long Tail Words||9||2|
|Look & Feel||1||10|
|Proper Noun Search||8||2|
|Read My Mind||9||0|
|Site Map Relevancy||8||3|
|Social Networking Content||8||2|
|Telephone Number Search||9||3|
|Within top results||7||8|
|ZIP Code Search||9||4|
- I am still working on this post, this post is continuously changing.
- New Parameters are being added every day
- Scores are also changing – I plan to do a major update
- This is a self initiated review
- I make no claims to be an authority on this subject or methodology adopted. However I admit to be a part of the vision/ engineering/ architecture/ design and development team of a Search Engine project which worked well as a beta product, but couldn’t find financial backing and died a natural death.